Your April Home Checklist: 13 To-Dos for a Fresh Start
As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer, it's the perfect time to give your home a fresh start. From boosting curb appeal to cleaning gutters, here are 13 tasks to add to your April home checklist:
1. Test sprinklers and irrigation systems. Test each part and make any necessary adjustments or repairs. To avoid a drooping garden and consider installing drip irrigation for water conservation.
2. Keep mosquitoes at bay. As the weather warms up, mosquitoes become more prevalent. Regularly check your property for standing water and empty it, as even small amounts can become breeding grounds for these pests.
3. Boost curb appeal. Spring is the perfect time to enhance your home's exterior. Simple upgrades, such as new house numbers and a fresh mailbox, can make a big difference in your home's overall appearance.
4. Spruce up the front porch by cleaning the floor, windows, and door, wiping away cobwebs, and adding a fresh doormat and potted flowers.
5. Inspect paths and driveways. Repeated freeze-thaw cycles can damage concrete and asphalt, leading to cracks and other issues. Inspect your driveway and paths for any damage and schedule repairs as needed.
6. Wash windows. Let in the spring sunshine by cleaning your windows inside and out. Don't forget to wipe down the frames and sills for a thorough clean.
7. Clean and inspect screen doors and windows. Pollen and dirt can build up on screens, so it's important to clean them at least once a year. Check for holes and tears, and repair them as needed to keep out mosquitoes and other pests.
8. Clear clutter. Clear out unloved items to make more space in your home. Consider holding a yard sale or donating to a local charity.
9. Schedule central air conditioning maintenance. Get ahead of the summer heat by scheduling professional maintenance for your central air conditioning system.
10. Maintain wood decks and fences. Keep outdoor woodwork in top shape by staining or resealing it each spring. Check for damage and make repairs as needed.
11. Clean out the garage. Clear out the junk and make room for your car. Dispose of hazardous materials safely and consider adding storage to keep things organized.
12. Wash siding. Use a siding cleaning kit to remove winter grime and keep your home looking its best. Be careful when using a pressure washer, as it can cause damage if used incorrectly.
13. Clean gutters and downspouts. Clogged gutters can cause water damage to your roof and siding, so make sure to clean them out and make any necessary repairs
Enjoy the fresh start of spring in a clean, organized home! By tackling these tasks on your April home checklist, you'll be well on your way to a beautiful and functional home for the season ahead.